Sunday, February 3, 2008

Why do we draw?

In her blog, Draw Anyway, Myfanwy Nixon covers her top 10 reasons why she draws. Some of mine are obvious here in the reasons I do this blog (to become a better artist and to perhaps draw professionally one day). Don't know if I have 10 total, but here goes...

1. To let out some of the creative ideas floating in my head.

2. As a form of relaxation (as long as you don't set a standard for the finished piece, this works).

3. To get over the anxiety of starting a drawing.

4. To break the monotony of the day

5. As a way of spending quality time with my kids.

6. The joy of watching the drawing come to life on the paper as I draw.

Well, I don't have 10, but you get the idea. Drawing is one of the best gifts God has given me, and I am thankful to be able to do it, if only as a hobby now. I just wish I would have awaken this person inside me sooner!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Tom!!! I love what you have going here! A good thing to practice when drawing people is "The Line of Action". Once you capture that, you're cooking with oil. We should get together for some drawing time at the zoo. Great job!

Piercing The Veil said...

indeed it is a form of relaxation.. there are times i couldn't help it but to get hold at the pen and try to sketch on a paper...it yields some kind of feeling...

Tom Barrett said...

^^I agree... sometimes I feel like if I don't draw something, my mind will explode! :) Thanks for stopping by!