Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Random Sketches





Here are some sketches I thought I'd share. Many times an idea or character will pop in to my head, so I grab whatever piece of paper happens to be handy and sketch it out. Post-It notes were my medium of choice for a while! It's funny, a lot of the ideas come when I have become comfortable in bed. The ones shown here are mostly mid-day musings that jumped out at me. The snake in the top drawing started as thoughts of an alligator, and the donkey character appeared one night in bed, so I drew him the next day along with attempts at other poses. The second drawing shows a resting (no, not dead!) horse from memory, and a horse drawn after a quick sketching session with the neighbors horses. The third is a little tug boat character that I have been working on for about a year. I have a story idea, but nothing solid yet. And the fourth is a random cat drawing, and a drawing of a model caboose I have on my desk. Anyway, gives you an idea of what I do when I am supposed to be working!!

On another note, I have dedicated this week to drawing children exclusively. My plan is to do four 10-15 minute drawings a day, in an effort to—hopefully—get a better idea of their shape and movements. Going to the zoo Saturday to try and get some life drawing done. I'll share some of those in future posts.

2 comments:

ELLA ELVIANA said...

hi, thanks for visiting my blog. i like your animals sketches, especially the horse near the fence. keep on drawing!

Alicia Padrón said...

Good to know the horse is not dead Tom! he, he.. and a donkey appearing in your bed? Well that sounds a bit scary ;o)

Kidding aside, I think these sketches are great. I really like your snake and the air view of the donkey is a good one, that is hard to do. Also the little tug boat is adorable and the horse peeking on the side of the page is the one that speaks to me the most. Don't know why really.. He is saying " Tom.. make a story about me, Tom" Can you hear him? :o)